You want to sell your home fast… and for the most money! You may be upgrading to a bigger home, relocating to a new location, or even downsizing for retirement. Whatever the case, once you’ve made the decision to sell, you want the best outcome! Here are seven secrets to get your home sold fast and for the most money.
1. Declutter and deep clean. Before you do anything else, start by decluttering your home. Get rid of things you don’t use, large pieces of furniture that you won’t need, extra clothing and shoes taking up closet space, etc. You want your home to look big and open. Then you want to do a deep clean to get the years of dirt wiped away. There’s nothing worse than a dirty house for buyers to walk through. They will assume you have not taken good care of your home. So declutter and remove all the extras, then get everything sparkling clean!
2. Repair and refresh. You most likely have a list of small repairs that you just haven’t gotten around to. This could be replacing light bulbs, fixing a door that sticks, or replacing some rotting wood trim. Take care of all these little repairs so the buyers know your home is in good condition. Then refresh the paint if needed or replace worn out flooring. The better the condition your home is in, the more desirable it will be to buyers.
3. Get showing ready. Now that your home is clean and in good shape, it’s time to add finishing touches. Each room should look open, warm, and inviting. Add a few pillows on the couch, a soft rug by the bed, a colorful fruit basket on the kitchen counter, and fluffy towels in the bathroom. Pops of color and texture in each room go a long way in making your home look inviting. Just adding small touches can go a long way.
4. Use an experienced realtor. From start to finish, using an experienced realtor is key. Your home is probably your biggest asset and you need a professional! She will be able to walk you through every step from decluttering, to making necessary repairs, to staging your home. She will help you understand the timeline and put together a listing strategy. She will market your property correctly. And, very importantly, she will review offers and terms, negotiate, and help you find the best buyer for your home.
5. Choose a realistic list price. Some people think they should start with a high price and drop it later if they need to. This is the wrong idea! Most homes that are overpriced end up selling for less than they would have if they were priced correctly from the start. It’s imperative to work with an experienced realtor on properly pricing your home for market conditions. You don’t want to leave money on the table, but you don’t want to overprice your home either.
6. Market your property correctly. Your home is a product to the buyers who are shopping for a home. How you present your home makes a huge difference in how much attention it will get. Your realtor should be using professional, high definition photography and videography to showcase your home. She should be using digital marketing across social media platforms as well as traditional marketing, such as mailers and open houses. She should also be utilizing coming soon periods to start advertising and create a buzz around your home.
7. Allow ample showing times. When your house goes on the market and becomes active for showings, make sure you can accommodate buyers. Sometimes it’s best to go active on Friday and go away for the weekend. This way you can accept any showing requests when buyers are most active and looking at homes. You want to be able to accommodate the most buyers seeking a showing at your home.
There is a lot of strategy that goes into selling a home quickly and for the most money! Contact me for a free seller consultation to discuss your situation.